Remote work— what was once a radical fantasy is now the reality for countless people around the world. Regardless of the job, working from home is a huge adjustment. Here are ten tips on how to effectively work from home during these tough times.
1. Routine- Just because you aren’t in the office doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be ready to clock in. Stick to your routine. Wake up on time, eat your breakfast, and get ready as if you were going to work. Not only will this keep you motivated to work efficiently, this will also make the adjustment to working regularly easier.
2. Dedicate a Workspace- If you can, have a home office space. Have an area that you can work at that is separate from the rest of your living space. Not everybody can have this luxury, so if you are somebody who doesn’t have the space available, find where you will work from and where you will not work from. Do not make your bed a workspace. Have a specific chair and area of your house that you will work from and not use for other purposes.
3. Technology- Make sure you have everything you need to conduct work from home. If this means updating your computer or purchasing a new laptop, do it. Nothing is more frustrating than trying to work without functioning technology. Make sure your technology can keep up with what you need to do.
4. Plan- Know what you need to do and when you need to do it. Be ready to accomplish what you need to do. Plan when you are going to do your housework, when you’re going to eat lunch, and when you’re going to get work done.
5. Avoid Distractions- Being home means that you don’t have your boss watching your every move, but don’t fall into bad habits. Don’t become consumed by your phone or television. Just because its there and nobody is stopping you, doesn’t mean you should.
6. Take Breaks- Sitting at the desk and looking at the same work all day is inefficient. Get up and walk around a bit. Take a ten-minute break every hour to keep your mind fresh and attentive.
7. Stay Social- It is easy to avoid people when you’re home all day. Human interaction is vital. Continue to communicate with your coworkers via email and video chat. Stay connected with friends and family, even if it must be from a distance.
8. Take Care of Yourself- Listen to your body. Eat a healthy and balanced breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Just because you are working from home does not mean you should have a bag of chips open beside you. Make sure to see the sunlight and breathe some fresh air every day. Even though many gyms are closed, find some way to exercise. Walk around your neighborhood if you can or follow a workout video. Keeping a healthy mind is also important. Make sure you are in touch with your mental health during these difficult times.
9. Separate Work and Home- Even though work and home may be in the same physical location, be sure to have some separation. Do not drag work activities outside of the workday and do not use work time to do house chores. You may want to consider having a separate work phone or work computer to make sure that these two separate aspects of your life are not consuming each other.
10. Embrace the Situation- Realize that there is not much you can do about the situation. Most things are out of your control, but there are things that you can do to make the best of the situation. Spend time with your family during your breaks or take your dog out for a walk when you get the chance.
Remember, this isn’t forever. The situation may be bad, but hopefully things will return to normalcy soon. We hope that these tips will help you in your adjustment to working from home.
Daniel James Consulting is a Full-Service Business Consulting Firm based in New York that designs solutions tailored specifically to the needs of your business in order to ensure you achieve continued success by designing, developing and implementing plans, metrics and platforms, be it a one-man operation, non-profit, startup or large organization. Our packaged solutions or a la carte selections include Website Design, Marketing & Advertising, Search Engine Positioning, and Graphic Design. Business Management Solutions are also available for companies of all sizes.
For more information please visit: www.danieljamesconsulting.com